The first Presbyterian Church was opened at Ebenezer in 1809. He had a house, known as the Red House, on his farm near Magrath's Hill (see illustration). Another meeting, probably called by Andrew Thompson, was held at his house in 1807, when it was decided to send a petition of sympathy to Governor Bligh. Andrew Thompson was appointed auctioneer for the Hawkesbury district by the Lieutenant-Governor, on the 21st January, 1809.
It is still used for Divine service, and is now the oldest church building in Australasia. In 1872 printed rules for Ham Common were issued by the trustees, who at that time were: W. He also had a large house and land in Bridge Street, Windsor, still known as Thompson's Square. This was signed by five hundred and forty-six persons. On 31st March, 1810, he was appointed a trustee and commissioner of the turnpike road from Sydney to Windsor, along with D'Arcy, Wentworth, and Simeon Lord, by Governor Macquarie. A site for a manse was dedicated on 14th March, 1851, in Thompson Square, near the Windsor Bridge, containing one rood seven perches.
Another object of these grain depots was to better control the price of grain, as in times of scarcity the local farmers charged most exorbitant prices, and also tried to prevent importation. On the arrival of Governor Macquarie's successor, Sir Thomas Brisbane, he called for a report on the public buildings of the colony. The milk returns sent by Andrew Thompson to him amounted to £60 0s. In the performance of this heroic work his health was seriously undermined. The foundation stone of a brick chapel, thirty-two feet by sixteen feet, was laid by the Rev.
The first era of the history of Green Hills ends here, and the second stage in its history as Windsor begins. Extract from Government and General Order, dated 15th December, 1810, issued on the return of his Excellency Governor Macquarie from an extensive tour of inspection through the various districts where agriculture and the breeding of cattle have occupied the attention of settlers. We have quoted from this report, which was made in 1824, in the articles dealing with the Hospital, St. This is a fitting place to insert some further particulars as to the expenditure and the condition of certain other Windsor buildings:— Extracts from report of the value of the improvements which have taken place in the Public Buildings of Sydney, Parramatta, Windsor, Liverpool, and Campbelltown, from December 25th, 1822, to December 24th, 1823, and an expose of the present state of Public Buildings in New South Wales, by order of his Excellency Sir Thomas Brisbane, made by S. Harris, Architect, in 1824:— "Commissariat Offices, etc.—The office is a shed adjoining the end of the store, about eighty feet long, with two storeys." "The School Room, Old Hospital, Store, and Dr. Andrew Thompson also had a large store-keeping business at the Green Hills (Windsor), which, according to an advertisement in the Sydney Gazette, was taken over by Mr.
Another address, signed by eight hundred and thirty-three residents, was presented to Governor Bligh, expressive of their confidence in his administration in the year 1808. The old denominational school system came to an end by the erection and opening: of the present Public School in 1870. However, it is known that Governor King gave him forty gallons of spirits as a reward for some service rendered on May 27th, 1806. It is evident that Andrew Thompson did traffic pretty largely in spirits, for he was fined £100 in 1807 for so doing. Again, we find in 1800 a reference to the profits made on the sale of spirits by Andrew Thompson, the Governor's bailiff. vii., page 225.) He acquired a number of properties by purchase, including property in Baker Street and in Bridge Street, Windsor.
Governor Bligh, and his son-in-law, Captain Putland, had farms near Pitt Town, where Bligh's oaks may still be seen. From this it appears that he obtained four hundred gallons of spirits which he retailed at a profit of twelve hundred pounds. His town residence in Sydney was in Macquarie Place. At another meeting to consider local grievances, John Bowman, Matthew Gibbons, and William Cummins were also present. Evans, William Baker, Thomas Arndell, Samuel Solomon and Andrew Thompson.
Governor Phillip when he explored the Hawkesbury in 1789 was moved to designate it "so noble a river", and, in the years to come, his successors had reason to endorse this opinion, for the banks of the river were the granary of the infant settlement. Phillip and Captains Collins, Johnston, Watkin, and Tench. A special train was run from Sydney, and one thousand spectators were present. From otter sources we learn that these vessels were built on the Hawkesbury. So rapid was the church's growth that it was decided to build a larger church, the foundation stone being laid on 17th October, 1838, by the Rev. Schofield, and the church, measuring fifty by thirty feet, capable of seating one hundred and fifty people, and costing one thousand and twenty pounds, was opened on 4th December, 1839, during the pastorate of Rev. This hall was built to accommodate the Wesleyan day-school. The church, which measures fifty-two feet by thirty-two feet, and cost two thousand and eighty pounds, was opened on 30th August, 1876, when a collection of four hundred pounds was taken, leaving a debt of six hundred and forty pounds on the building, which had been reduced to one hundred and sixty-four pounds in the year 1882, and has long since been cleared off. It is with the pioneers who opened the way, and with the men who followed and built and tended the pleasant town of Windsor on the noble river's bank that Mr. He has expended much time and labour in gathering his material and in disinterring from the somewhat dusty chambers of the past the names and deeds of men who "deserve to live." For these services Mr. who would know the early history of Australia must perforce know something of its first granary, the Green Hills, afterwards known as Windsor. These and others made several successive visits to the Hawkesbury River, reaching as far as Richmond Hill. He also built the Governor Bligh, in 1807, which traded to New Zealand. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 8th December, 1875. The chief laymen during the seventies throughout the whole circuit were:—William Dean, J. Steele deserves the success which I am sure this book will command. BERTIE, Past-President, Australian Historical Society. The substance of this volume ran through the columns of the between August, 1914, end February, 1915. In the year 1794 Lieut.-Governor Major Grose placed the first twenty-two settlers along the banks of the Hawkesbury River and South Creek, railed then Ruse's Creek, as James Ruse, the man who first grew wheat at Parramatta, had a grant of land at the junction of that stream with the Hawkesbury. Corps were sent up, and the settlement of Windsor, then called Green Hills, was fairly launched. Andrew Thompson appears to have had some literary taste, for in an advertisement in the Sydney Gazette, 9th December, 1804, he asked that those to whom he had loaned certain books would kindly return them. Walker (the ancestor of many Methodist ministers), J. Among those present, as circuit minister for a second term, was the Rev. Wilkinson, who was also present when the foundation stone of the burnt church was laid, in 1838. For the first twenty-five or thirty years of the settlement of New South Wales, the Hawkesbury was looked upon as the granary of the colony. In his house were held several meetings of, local residents, one on 20th January, 1807, to petition the Governor aginst the importation of wheat. Governor Bligh, who took to farming in 1807, bought several holdings on the river, near Pitt Town, near where the present punt is located. A portion of this (six perches) was resumed for public road purposes on 25th January, 1899. When floods came the greatest anxiety was caused in Sydney and Parramatta, and floods were fairly frequent in those days. We might here mention that wheat was selling on 19th January, 1806, at nine shillings and threepence in Windsor, and ten shillings a bushel in Sydney. Some oak trees planted at the time are known to-day as Bligh's oaks. The rest of the land was disposed of when the present manse was purchased, in 1902, as it was not suitable for manse purposes. "Said report on return is in the first instance to be made to Wm. Roads were formed, and a new bridge built over the South Creek. A large collection of newspaper cuttings has been got together in book form by Mr. Padley ("Yeldap"), and can be found in the Sydney Public Library, catalogue number 994 over 7. In Macquarie's time there was no street between the gaol and the Court House. There was another course at Wilberforce, to which visitors came from all parts of the colony. In 1848 it was 1,679, and in 1891 the figures were 2,026. The population of Windsor according to the 1911 census was 1,674. Andrew Thompson, however, did not live long to enjoy the honours which were thus thrust upon him, for he died at his residence, Green Hills, on 22nd October, 1810, and was buried on 26th October, in a vault, in the new cemetery. His effects were sold by auction on 19th January, 1811, by John Howe, his successor in the office of local auctioneer. A number of gentlemen followed as mourners, and a long train, composed principally of the inhabitants of the settlement, followed in succession." The following is a copy of the entry of his death in the register of the Parish Church of Hawkesbury:—"Entry No. Andrew Thompson, Esq., of this Parish, came to the colony in the ship Pitt, in the year of our Lord, 1792. Cox, Esq., principal magistrate of the Hawkesbury." The year 1810 thus marks the beginning of the town of Windsor, for in that year Governor Macquarie, having visited all the settlements along the Hawkesbury, issued the above instructions to lay out townships on the high ground. Andrew Thompson was appointed chief magistrate for the district, but he died in the same year, and was succeeded by William Cox. A burial ground was approved of, and a military hospital established. An older article runs through the Windsor Magazine published in 1857. Wooden wharf for one-hundred-ton boats, and a ferry punt. There had been another Court House previous to 1821, but it was discarded. A local fair was held, regarding which we clip the following advertisement from the Government Gazette;—"Windsor Annual Fair. The latter died on 12th January, 1838, aged 61 years. In the thirties a great change came over the street formation of Windsor. His was the first interment there, the ground not being fenced nor consecrated until shortly after (11th, May, 1611). The following obituary notice of Andrew Thompson appeared in the Sydney Gazette, 27th October, 1810:— "Died at Hawkesbury, Green Hills, on Monday, 22nd instant, after a lingering and severe illness, aged 37 years, Andrew Thompson, Esq., Magistrate of that district. Aged 37 years, and was buried October 25th, 1810.—Robert Cartwright." A memo after this entry says: "A. was the first corpse buried in the new church-yard at Windsor." The inscription on his tombstone in St. Baker afterwards kept an hotel in Baker Street, known as the Royal Oak. On account of distress caused by floods the Governor curtailed the sale of rum during the year 1798. He next appears on the scene as a brewer, receiving permission on 11th May, 1806, to sell at a shilling a gallon, and small beer sixpence. The old Government House was also built about this time as a residence for Lieutenant Edward Abbott, commander of the troops for the N. About the year 1800 there appeared on the Hawkesbury a settler named Andrew Thompson, who played a leading part in the development of the district up to the time of his death in 1810. His brewery was situated on the bank of the South Creek. Hughes (who was the schoolmaster at Richmond, and formerly at Windsor), R. The same figures will be found in Waugh's Almanac for 1859. They were all local men, judging by their names: John Howe (leader), and his son-in-law George Loder, Andrew Howe, William Dargan, Philip Thornley, and Benjamin Singleton, after whom a northern town is named. It is interesting to notice the rapid development of the town of Windsor and district during the regime of Governor Macquarie. We have difficulty in locating the buildings numbered 6, 7, 8, and 9. A few years after, what was known as Cope's Farm was sold. Thompson was enabled to accumulate considerable property, and what was more valuable to him, to possess the confidence of some of the most distinguished characters of this country, the consciousness of which surmounted the private solicitude of re-visiting his native country, and led him rather to yield to the wish of passing the evening of his life where his manhood had been meritoriously exerted, than of returning to the land which gave him birth. Thompson's intrinsic good qualities were appreciated by his Excellency the present Governor (Macquarie), who soon after his arrival here was pleased to appoint him a Magistrate, for which situation Mr. This act, which restored him to that rank in Society which he had lost, made so deep an impression on his grateful heart as to induce him to bequeath to the Governor one-fourth of his Fortune. During Governor Macquarie's regime (1810-22) Windsor was really a military settlement. Roads were made, magistrates and clergymen were appointed, churches and schools provided, public buildings erected, such as court house, gaol, military barracks, and hospital. One was made into a temporary chapel in 1810; downstairs a church, upstairs a school, and residence for the chaplain. Three-storey provision store and granary, bought from Andrew Thompson's estate. A large building stood on the site of the present School of Arts, known at the time as the old military hospital, and where soldiers were seen standing on guard. Another three-storey building stood behind the present School of Arts, and was the church in use until the opening of St. We can find no trace of this being used for any other purpose than that of a church and school, and we hesitate to name it No. It consisted of portions of the grants to Joseph Smallwood, and Thomas Riccaby, granted to them in 17. Thompson's natural good sense and a superior knowledge of the laws of his country peculiarly fitted him. This most useful and valuable Man closed his Earthly career on the 22nd Day of October, 1810, at His House at Windsor of which he was the principal Founder in the 37th year of his age, with[in] the Hope of [an] Eternal Life. The above inscription, having become weather-worn, was recut by Travis, of Richmond, about 1908, the coat having been collected in Windsor. Alexander Dandie, who retired on account of advancing years, in 1912, but he only lived a few months after his retirement, as he died on 17th December, 1912, aged seventy-two years.